84 Amy Trail
Roswell & Dorothy Hubbard Family Trust (Tom & Christine Hubbard, Cathy & Larry Griffin, Moira & Brian Hubbard, Ellen & John Hart)
Dorothy & Roswell E. Hubbard, Jr.
Mary Amy Hubbard (1957 to 1970)
Bessie Hill (prior to 1970)
Our grandfather (Roswell Earle Hubbard M.D.) was discharged from the U.S. Navy in 1919 as the military demobilized with the end of World War I. Earle had gone straight from medical school (the Bowdoin - Maine Medical School in Portland, soon after closed) into the Navy, serving on the U.S.S. Ohioan troop transport. As he was discharged he and our grandmother Amy (married to Earle the prior December) started to look for a place to go into private medical practice. Apparently, a return to Earle’s hometown of Hatfield, Massachusetts was ruled out and the couple decided to look in Maine.
Amy was a native of Whitefield and her widowed mother was still alive and working in Augusta, so this may have factored into the decision. In any event, Earle received a list from either the Maine Medical Society or the state board of registration in medicine of several towns in Maine in which he could open a practice. The family story is that Amy and Earle packed up their Model T and drove from Portland to Waterford. Amy pronounced Waterford as a nice place to make a home and said she had no desire to drive further up to Eagle Lake, the second spot on the list, and too far into the wilderness as far as Amy was concerned.
Amy and Earle (also known thereafter as Doc Hubbard) rented the apartment over the Rounds store before purchasing the Knight sisters property, on Keoka Lake adjacent to the Waterford Town House and the town beach where Doc Hubbard kept his office (through the front door and to the left), and where our parents grew up.
Doc Hubbard served as camp doctor for several area camps from the 1920s through the early 1960s. Our father Ros Hubbard served as a camp counselor at Birch Rock in the late 1930s, and the Hubbards as a family were very friendly with the Brewster family than ran Birch Rock. A favorite activity for the Hubbard grandchildren in the 1960s was a visit to Birch Rock to sample the cookies baked by Albert, the Birch Rock cook.
One tradition Doc Hubbard maintained for a number of years was creation of a “whirligig” when Keoka iced over during the winter. The photo above shows the whirligig, which entailed sinking a sturdy branch through the ice and waiting until the lake iced over enough so that the branch would stand reliably upright under pressure. Earle would lash a birch branch to the center branch that allowed the birch branch to rotate, and then fix the far end of the birch branch to a slide that could be pushed around and around. The photo shows (from left to right) Mary, Jean, and Amy Hubbard in the sled, with Ros and John Hubbard providing the power on foot. The whirligig is the subject of a poem that Virginia Tyler Cutler wrote in 1988 and dedicated to Dr. Hubbard. The family story is that Earle learned to build whirligigs growing up in Hatfield, Massachusetts, where Hatfield children would create whirligigs on the Connecticut River, weather permitting.
For our grandparents (Amy and Earle), parents and many of us grandchildren, our memories of Keoka center around swimming and launching boats from the narrow strip of beach that is part of the property. (We have many memories of walking nearly the entire way to the mouth of Kedar Brook over the sandbar that often appeared in the lake during the 1960s.)
In 1957 Amy purchased the Marshmallow Beach property and adjoining land and it became the site of many family excursions in the summer. We pitched tents on Marshmallow Beach over many summers in the 1960s. The first permanent structure on the property is the house that our father (Ros Hubbard) built in 1994. Ros Hubbard designed the house and Mark Tempesta was the builder.
We believe the name Marshmallow Beach was first coined by our aunt Jean Hubbard (1929-2003). Jean was a licensed practical nurse who worked for many years at Stephens Memorial Hospital in Norway before moving to Tampa, Florida with her mother Amy in 1980.
Six generations of Hubbards and extended family have enjoyed Keoka Lake. Earle’s (Doc’s) mother Fanny Graves Hubbard (1854-1940) lived off and on with Amy and Earle in the 1920 and 1930s; we have photographs of Fanny enjoying picnics with her grandchildren in the backyard of the house, behind the Town House. Amy and Earle, their four children and spouses, and their eleven grandchildren all swam and boated on Keoka Lake over the years. The Ros Hubbard children, their spouses and 10 cousins (all male) continue to vacation on the lake at Marshmallow Beach, often joined by Aunt Mary Hubbard Flynn and Jim and Diane Flynn. Cathy Hubbard Griffin and her husband Larry are now almost-year-round residents of Waterford. In 2019 Emily Griffin (granddaughter of Larry Griffin and Catherine Hubbard Griffin) became the first of Amy and Earle’s great-great-grandchildren at Keoka Lake.
Clambakes on the beach were a family tradition throughout the 1960s, and we’ve revived the tradition with cookouts on July 4th, with or without the clams. We enjoy every kind of boating, swimming, swimming off the rocks submerged off the beach, watching the various family dogs, past and present, dig holes in the beach.